Thank you for Subscribing to Life Science Review Weekly Brief
Chemical burns, air pollution, radiation burns, and toxic exposure to hazardous pharmaceutical products and chemicals, such as mercury or dioxins, are all possible hazards, especially during the waste incineration process.
Fremont, CA: Healthcare facilities all over the world are concerned about medical waste management. According to the WHO, approximately 85 percent of all waste produced is non-hazardous, while the remaining 15 percent is infectious, poisonous, or radioactive. Although non-hazardous medical waste presents fewer issues, the hazards and challenges of hazardous medical waste disposal must be carefully considered, as incineration or open burning of dangerous medical waste will result in harmful contaminants such as dioxins and furans being released into the atmosphere. Thus, steps should be taken to guarantee the safe disposal of hazardous medical waste to avoid negative environmental or biological consequences, especially in developing countries.
Here are two issues in medical waste management:
Because of the infectious microorganisms, it contains, biologically dangerous waste may be a source of infection; those most at risk are medical patients, hospital
personnel, and health workers. The case, however, has the potential to be detrimental to the general public. Chemical burns, air pollution, radiation burns, and toxic exposure to hazardous pharmaceutical products and chemicals, such as mercury or dioxins, are all possible hazards, especially during the waste incineration process.
Other concerns may arise from the improper handling of needles and syringes; it is estimated that around 16 billion infections are administered globally per year. Sadly, not all needles are correctly disposed of, posing a risk of contamination as well as the potential for unintended reuse. Although the risk has decreased in recent years, dangerous infections continue to cause many new HIV, hepatitis B, and hepatitis C cases.
Inadequate disposal of untreated medical waste in landfills can contaminate drinking and groundwater and release hazardous chemical compounds into the atmosphere. Inadequate waste incineration can also release harmful toxins into the environment and produce dioxins and furans, which have been related to cancer and other health problems. The incineration of heavy metals may result in the release of toxic metals into the atmosphere.